Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sisters
















This blog post is dedicated to my sisters: Elizabeth, Andrea and Krista.

They are my blood sisters.

I have so many other sisters. My sisters in law, Valeria and Marissa, whom I also love dearly. I have best friends who have reached sister status: Velvet, Ondra and Dawn. I have ladies I grew up with I feel are sisters to me: Ruth, Rebekah and Kristina. I have had sisters from church, from school, from circles of friends, from the medical profession, (therapists, doctors, nurses, acupuncturists), artists, (Jamie and Mara), from dreams, from books, sisters all around me. But this blog is dedicated to those three women I've spent my whole life loving, living with and laughing with. The three women, (besides my Mother and Grandmother), who have always been my best friends, loved me, accepted me, played with me (or didn't play with me), fought with me, got scared with me, and held me when I cried. Sisters. A very powerful word. A very powerful concept, one which can never be downplayed in my mind or crossed off my heart.

What does "sister" mean? A woman of my heart. Someone I hold dear to me. Women who serve each other, suffer together, encourage each other, listen, play, learn, argue, fight, accept, love unconditionally, borrow your clothes without asking, ruin your clothes they borrow, (;-P), want to be just like you, want to be your best friend, tell you how it is, help you set goals, help you remember who you are, remind you of the good times, share moments that connect your souls forever that no one else can touch. Because they were there....Wonders of my heart!

Why do I love them? Well, just a few memories to whet your pallet on the subject:

Elizabeth. Elizabeth helped me with my English and Geometry homework. Elizabeth was the oldest sister who nurtured me as a second mother. Beautiful Elizabeth was a voice of gentle authority and stable encouragement. Elizabeth was the closest thing to Mother one could get without cloning. Every time I see her she makes me cry with her tender hearted words. She has always accepted me and never judged me even when I lived contrary to her beliefs. She is the most natural mother I know. She thinks of things to say and do with her children I could never imagine on my own. She is also a nurse, her chosen profession which she practices every day of her life. She is also funny and makes me laugh when she acts silly. She never let me run away from home! ;-)

Andrea Marie. What a beautiful woman. I feel the most equal with this sister. We have suffered many of the same trials in life, such as health problems, depression, and betrayal. We have both been free spirits. We have cried together through so much pain and laughed through so many memories of the past. She is creative. She is strong. She is a mother who went back to school and suffered much for her education. Now she is in grad school and I am so proud of her as she embarks on her career!!! She always encouraged me to go back to school and told me she believed in me. (But then so did Elizabeth and Krista too!!) She holds this ONE TIME over my head that we got into a fight when we shared a room and tells it over and over like it was a daily thing. (I'm one of those people who need their own room.) Fine then! But I'll always beat you in karaoke. ;-)

Krista Ann. My baby sister. I have the most regrets with this sister. It is sad for me to admit, but blogs are all about being honest right? I was the big sister who bullied her. We had a love/hate relationship for many years and were constantly making each other cry. But she always yielded when I was stubborn and obstinate. Krista has a way of melting me. When I am determined to be angry she can melt those feelings away and bring softness into my heart with her tenderness. Much of our memories include some serious drama, but Krista would write a little note to make things right. I have many of these little notes. She always says sorry first. She always is firm with her beliefs and sticks up for herself which is why we butted heads in the past-we are too much alike! Krista wanted so much for me to be a big sister who set her a good sterling example, she always wanted to hold me on a pedestal and I didn't want her to. I hope I have shown her what it means to be a free spirit, to be a strong and independent woman who sticks to her own values. I hope she knows how much I care for her and to what depth I love her. She is my baby sister who I always want to protect. I had the honor of doing her makeup when she became prom queen!!!!! What a treat to know I had a part in that. Krista is becoming quite a woman and I enjoy watching her blossom like a beautiful pink rose.

For my sisters, Krista, Andrea and Elizabeth. I love you!

5 comments:

  1. can't WAIT to meet them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I've been wanting to do something like this for my family for a while - I think you've just inspired me to finally follow through on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liesl, it was really fun reading this post. I love you dear sister, and pray for all happiness upon you. You're really sweet Liesl. I am excited to see you soon. XOXOXO's!!

    Love,
    Krista Ann

    P.S. There is no "e" in my middle name....even though you always thought it was prettier that way. :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liesl, I'm so glad to find your blog. Thanks for following mine!! I love your blog on your sisters and like Krista said, "You are so sweet."
    I would like to be able to read your mom's blog sometime. Do you think she'd let me sign in? If you get a chance, please ask her for me. And, I'll be following yours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Liesl, I think I cried through the whole thing. You really have a gift for expressing yourself through writing. Thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot. You are an amazing person and I'm so grateful you are my sister. Thank you. I love you. And I can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete