Tuesday, February 17, 2009

25 Random things about ME!

I thought I would take Marissa's lead and post a blog about myself regarding 25 random facts. So we'll see what I can come up with!

1. I enjoy editing and proofreading paperwork, documents, writings of any kind. Its a weird hobby of mine, which has helped me immensely as a legal secretary and in writing papers in college. And like Marissa, I too, am a spelling nazi. It is a deal breaker for me when dating. Which is why Daniel has gotten as far as he has, for he can spell so well!!!! Lol.

2. I have a curious fondness for making chocolate chip cookies. Ever since I was a little girl my Mom would include me in the process by putting me up on the counter and letting me crack the eggs into her mixer or pour in the sugar or chocolate chips. She still has the same mixer she got shortly after her wedding 36 years ago. And it is still mixing cookies! It gives me great pleasure and comfort to make cookies in that mixer, and I have used it therapeutically many hard times to lift my spirits. That mixer is like an old friend.

3. The first thing I wanted "to be when I grow up" was an opera singer. Well, I'm not far off, I'm not an opera singer, but I'm dating one. He is a mighty baritone and I'm so excited to be at his side while he builds his career. The funny thing is he didn't want to be an opera singer when he grew up. He didn't think of it till much later.

4. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 12. Yes. Its true. When I was pretty little living in Dorena (which means before the age of 8), Dad brought me to the top of the hill on Elizabeth's pink bike which came up to my chest at the time and pushed the seat of the bike with me on it and let go as I reached the bottom half of the hill at full speed. I don't know why Dad thought this was a good way to teach me to ride a bike, but to his credit, I did not come near one again until I was 12. He has made up for this by buying me a really nice mountain bike. Which shamefully, I regret to admit I rarely ride. Ugh.

5. Unlike my sister Andrea, I do not like burnt toast.

6. I have some paranoid rituals that if you know me well, you know what they are and they probably drive you crazy. Like "do you have the keys?" before locking the doors of the car, EVERY TIME.

7. I am the only person who has ever, and I admit this proudly, been able to dispassion my mother into using a swear word. Its true, she's not a TOTAL SAINT. She called me a smart a** one time when I really deserved it. I'm pretty sure I was about 14. ;-)

8. I have nightmares when I sleep too hot or too cold. Temperature is paramount to a good night's sleep.

9. Without meaning to do so, I match and color coordinate whenever I dress--down to underclothes, outfit, socks, purse, coat, shoes, jewelry, etc. I think its totally weird myself! I cannot wear something that doesn't match even for bed, its like contrary to my nature.

10. I REALLY love Bluegrass, Jazz and Blues. I think I was a blues singer in a past life.

11. I think the funniest person in the whole world is Velvet. She can make me laugh, invariably, every single time I talk to her. She is just so dang clever, funny and sarcastic. Some of our favorite memories are her making me fall over in stitches!!

12. I was in a car accident on December 4, 2004, in which I broke my leg in two places. I had surgery the next day. It is now February 18, 2009, and I'm sad to admit I still suffer from chronic pain due to this injury.

13. I have green eyes. I was born with blue eyes, and then they turned hazel, and in the last year or two, they've turned green.

14. Speaking of eyes, I really don't like driving at night. It is physically painful for my eyes and gives me a great big headache. I've fallen asleep at the wheel a few times in the past and the bumpetty bump grids on the shoulder have saved me about four times from disaster.

15. Speaking of eyes again, my roommate had Lasik surgery and has a coupon on the fridge for $250 off for Lasik surgery. I wish I could use that coupon!

16. I am obsessed with CSI Miami. I love David Caruso and Emily Procter! Give me CSI Miami, any day, any time and I'll be happy as can be.

17. I hate talk radio! I hate football! (Although most of my loved ones like these things, and that is okay.) These were both forms of torture during my childhood! Ha!

18. During the week I get on facebook at least twice a day, but more like ten. I know, I'm a nerd.

19. I buy books and put them on my shelves, to read someday. I like used books, new books, books of any kind. Books are like people and have their own personalities. I don't like books to stare at me because I feel guilty for not reading them. So I usually take a scarf or sari and cover my bookshelf so the titles will stop staring at me.

20. I also cover my television with a scarf or sari when I am not watching it. I don't like the t.v. staring at me all the time, begging me to turn it on. It effects my feng shui.

21. When I was around four or five I had a long argument with my mother and obstinately insisted that on my hand was "fumb and thinger". I KNEW I was right and she was wrong about the spelling and pronunciation when she tried to correct me. I did not believe it until I had the same conversation with my first grade teacher, Mrs. Joyner, when I was six, and she assured me my mother was right, that on my hand is "thumb and finger"! Only then did I concede.

22. I love soccer. I only played three seasons, and after my final season at awards night my coach said I could easily have been an all-star player if I had only begun playing sooner than 11th grade. :-(

23. I love dark chocolate. I love strong coffee, expecially Americanos. I love Oregon wines. I love classical opera. I love oatmeal in the morning with raisins, dates and walnuts. I love mixed tapes (cd's) and written letters. They are an old art now yet still mean so much!!! I love studying culture, religion, philosophy, the arts, folklore, mysticism, literature and languages. I love learning new things and trying new things.

24. I'm applying to study abroad in Mexico this summer and possibly this fall too. We'll see what happens.

25. If I play my cards right, I could graduate in a year with my Bachelor of Arts in Humanities. But minors are mandatory at my school. If I live abroad I think I will go for a minor in Spanish. We'll see what I can do. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

2 comments:

  1. Fun post. It's nice to learn new things about loved ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun!! I might have to integrate something like this into one of my posts. Hmmm. I learned some cool things from your list. :-)

    ReplyDelete